Today is the 3rd anniversary of my first posting in sashi-isms.
3 years. 36 months. 600+ posts. 3000+ comments. That’s some nice set of numbers for a small-time blogger.
I could go all philosophical and talk about how having a blog has changed me, or how it has touched people, or how it allowed me to… never mind, that is not what I want to do today.
Well, maybe just a little bit.
This blog is currently undergoing its third phase of life. The first phase was spent in the warm embrace of pre-Google-owned Blogger. When it found favour among a regular group of readers, it morphed into its own identity: sashiweb dot com. It spent this second phase in a host of temporary webhosting homes, before finally settling on Exabytes. It even had a brief dalliance with Google Adsense, before splitting amicably.
But eventually, it got restless. It was growing more pensive, more thoughtful. It felt things were not what they should be in this crazy world of ours.
It started feeling like it didn’t belong anymore, out there among the others screaming about prejudice and hate, about making money above all else, about serving gratuitious amounts of sleaze and hype, about recycled copycat hash-job ‘works’ trumping originality…
It took its bow, left the stage. It just wasn’t cut out to be one of the group.
But it never left the sphere. It just resurfaced elsewhere. Somewhere without all this… external noise. Somewhere where it can stop, take a breather, have a nice look around, and wander off into the garden of sunflowers glowing beneath its radiant solar benefactor.
This third phase is like home for me. It is rented (in a manner of speaking, the rental being free), of course – I could still be turned out by the homeowners. They might start charging me to stick around. What I will do then, I do not know. But we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.
But I’m gonna enjoy myself while it lasts.
In the meantime, I look back at my 3-years worth of postings, wondering about the stuff I wrote back then. It’s almost like having an out-of-body experience, if it can be applied to blogging. I cannot believe some of the stuff I wrote were written by me. Some are rubbish. Ok, most are rubbish. But a few, well, a few of them I really like.
Or maybe it’s just a case of self-grandeur. Or as it is so aptly referred to in Malay: syiok sendiri le….
So in the spirit of looking back, I present to you a chef’s selection from the archives: 1 post for each of the 36 months I’ve been blogging.
And as an afterthought, I’ve also added a list of selected fictional posts (which is another reason for this blog’s existence – to exercise the creative part of me).
Read ’em all, or none at all. I’m just happy you’re reading this. Thank you for your support.
- Mar: The Mysterious Incident with the Recycling Man
- Apr: Of dead fishes, smartcards, wrapped chicken special and a red devil
- May: Liverpool and Thaksin
- Jun: Of Burger King, Petaling Street, “Kew Bew”, Datin VCDs and “Lusa”
- Jul: Everybody’s Kung-Fu Fighting!
- Aug: Of Smiles and Laughter
- Sep: Call me… God.
- Oct: CSI: KL
- Nov: Sashi does a FlashBack: Anfield Pt 1
- Dec: Paused.
- Jan: Things I did today during the blackout
- Feb: Radio News Segments in 2020
- Mar: Sometimes I scare myself
- Apr: On Globetrotting
- May: Blog Plagiarism
- Jun: Getting Sith’d and Searching for Mr Heckles
- Jul: 5 Feet Away From An Angel
- Aug: Coronation, Starscream? This is bad comedy…
- Sep: A meme-meme here, a meme-meme there…
- Oct: The Vanishing Coin Trick
- Nov: Sixthseal.com on the front pages of Metro Ahad
- Dec: Wisdom Teeth Memories
- Jan: Singapore: Illustrated (Part Seribu SATU Malam)
- Feb: Lion Dance at Bangsar Village
- Mar: V For Vendetta. Also for Vow. And Voo-hoo!
- Apr: One Nation Dominating Europe
- May: Please Let Me Watch Lelaki Komunis Terakhir
- Jun: KFC and World Cup battle: Star vs NST
- Jul: No title seemed right
- Aug: The Magic of David Copperfield
- Sep: Empty Fulfilment
- Oct: Scene from Almost Famous
- Nov: Love Not Actually
- Dec: Xmas Gift Exchange at the office
Some of my ‘works of fiction’:
- The Steve series: Vol I | Vol II | Vol III | Vol IV | Vol V | Vol VI | Vol VII | Vol VIII
- Stupid nonsensical prose
- A Fairly Nutty Tale
- Vader and Luke: True Story
- The Fable of the Cup
- Just wingin’ it
- Over The Waves
- The Birthday Party
Previous anniversary posts: