Need help with Photoshop! Tolong!

OK, here’s the thing.

I need to create a picture where some text – let’s say, “This Is Anfield” – is, uh, embossed (?) on a photo.

I don’t know how to quite explain this, since I’m no graphic design expert, but I’ll plough on anyway.

The text should appear as if it is being pushed from behind the photo. You know? It’s like the photo is being pressed on to a set of letters, and … it is…. popping out??

Sheesh. This is harder to explain than I thought. No doubt there is a common technical term for what I’m trying to do, but obviously I do not know it.

So if you – yes, YOU – know what I’m talking about, or consider yourself a Jedi master in all things Photoshop, please drop me an email or contact me via Yahoo! Messenger (link on homepage sidebar).

If you could help me out here, I will forever be your humble virtual slave.

That’s virtual.

Thank you.

Da Inevitable Update:

Thanks to everyone for your assistance. My admiration and respect for all graphic designers has just gone up tenfold.

Anyway, this is an example of what I was trying to come up with. (I can’t show you the real image, ‘cos its all hush-hush…)

Image Hosted by

Anyway, with your suggestions and some Google-legwork, I finally got the hang of it – with GIMP, anyway. Photoshop is not my favourite software, powerful though it may be.

9 thoughts on “Need help with Photoshop! Tolong!”

  1. I would suggest that you use Macromedia Fireworks. It much easier to manipulate text and create bevels and shadows using it.
    You can also do it in Photoshop but its more complex.
    – Write the words then Highlight
    – GO to ‘Styles’ box and click ‘button-shiny’
    – Go to the ‘Layers’ box and tweak the settings as you desire. You have to play around a bit.
    Hope that helps.

  2. Dude, if I think I get you correctly, here’s what you have to do.

    1. Open your picture
    2. Make sure the Layers palette is open (Windows –> Layers)
    3. Create a new layer and type your text on it. It doesn’t really matter what color.
    4. Select the text layer and then click the layer styles button at the bottom left of the Layers palette.
    5. Choose ‘Bevel and Emboss’. A new window appears with options for your style. Choose the following:
    – Style: Emboss
    – Highlight mode: Screen
    – Gloss contour: The.. er.. quarter pie shape
    6. Back in your Layers palette, change the layer blending mode from the drop-down menu (top-left of the palette). Screen, Multiply or Overlay will probably work best.
    7. Tweak options on all previous steps to get the desired effect.
    8. Sit back and admire your handiwork.

    Hope this helps!

  3. Thanks, guys, for all the suggestions. But my Photoshop (cap lanun) keeps crashing on me, so I’m resorting to Gimp. Err, any Gimp experts out there? đŸ˜›

Comments are closed.